Tuesday, October 9, 2007

HW 18 "My Least Favorite Blog Post of the Week"

My least favorite blog post of the week that I came across was titled, “Black Women Less Likely to Receive Chemo” falling under the feminist blogs category. Apparently, a recent study showed that “Black women are three times less likely to receive chemotherapy and five times less likely to receive Tamoxifen (a drug used to help treat breast cancer) than their white counterparts”. In my opinion, I disagree with this recent post. Throughout society today, we don’t have close to any problems with racism; at least not around me. I feel that no matter what culture you are or what color you are does not play a role in how you are medically treated. Years ago when we did have problems with racism I could believe this post and see why people might think this. At this day and age, I feel that no one cares about what race you are and everyone is equivalent with one another. “Despite previous studies having found difference in the types of cancer that black women get verse white women, it is clear that it is cultural and racial factors that motivate the difference between why white women get the treatment they need more than black women do. Most experts were not surprised by the results of the study, but stated that figuring out why the differences existed would be difficult”. I 100% disagree with this statement. I feel that weather you are black or a white women doesn’t affect how you are treated with your health. They also didn’t give much back up information making this not a well written post. Because it is a brief statement that has no support to such a controversial issue, I have problems and disagree with this entire post.

http://feministing.com/archives/007877.html

No comments: